I’m yet to explore the length and breadth of Tamil cuisine. But Chettinad, is still love. Unlike the usual onion-tomato based curries, this one is onion-pepper based. Its spiciness comes from green chillies and whole pepper. The fragrance of curry leaves when it splutters in hot oil is the perfect start to cooking this dish. I tried my hand at something that would come close to Chettinad style chicken.
Chicken – 1/2 kg
Green chillies – 3 chopped
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – fistful
Onion – 1 chopped
Garlic – 3 pods chopped
Lemon juice – 2 tsp
Ingredients for spice mix:
Whole pepper – 4 tsp
Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
Cloves – 3-4
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch
1. Dry roast all the ingredients for spice mix and grind it to a powder. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and let them pop.
3. Add curry leaves and let them splutter.
4. Now add onions and saute with the green chillies and garlic.
5. Add the spice mix and salt and saute for another 2 mins.
6. Add chicken, mix well and let it cook for 10 mins.
7. Add lemon juice and take off flame.
Best when served with plain dosa.