Context: I was looking forward to a chicken curry/stew kind of lunch. But my order of chicken didn’t come through on time and hence the last minute change in the lunch menu.
Assorted vegetables like carrot, beans, bell peppers, beetroot, potato – cubes of them enough for the dish
Onions – 1 large chopped
Uncooked rice – 2 cups
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Green chilly – 1
Turmeric – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coriander leaves – handful
Coconut milk – 1 cup
Water – 1 and 1/2 cups
Salt to taste
Oil for tempering
1. In a pressure cooker, heat oil, add cumin seeds and saute for 10 seconds and then add the chilly (chopped/slit).
2. Add curry leaves.
3. Tip in the chopped onions and saute before adding ginger garlic paste.
4. Add turmeric, chilli powder and salt.
5. Tip in the vegetables and stir well.
6. Add rice and mix.
7. Add coconut milk and water and pressure cook till 5 whistles.
8. Remove lid after pressure drops completely and add chopped coriander leaves.
Serves 2 hungry souls on a late