I wanted fish curry, minus the fuss. From breaking a coconut, scraping the flesh and grinding it with a hundred spices wasn’t something I was ready for. Hence, the shortcut – onion and tomato gravy base with coconut milk.
Fish – 250 gms boneless
Onion – 2 medium
Tomato – 2 medium
Coconut milk – 1 tetrapack (200 ml)
Dried red chilly – 1
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coriander leaves – handful
Fresh green/red chillies – 2
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Note: Marinate the fish in ginger garlic paste and salt for a couple of hours. Shallow fry in hot oil till cooked, and keep aside.
1. Grind onions with the dried red chilly to a paste.
2. Heat the oil, add curry leaves and let them splutter.
3. Tip in the onion paste along with chopped green/red chillies paste and let it cook down till the paste has browned.
4. Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric and garam masala. Cook for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the fried fish.
6. Add coconut milk and stir well.
7. Garnish with more fresh red chillies and coriander.