I’ve seen it on pretty much every travel/cooking show there is, in most cookbooks, just everywhere – it looks delicious and I’ve always wanted to make them. Churros! I mean, fried dough rolled around in cinnamon sugar and dipped in chocolate sauce – how can you not want some?
Ingredients for Churros:
Soft unsalted butter – 1/4 cup
Boiling water – 1 and 1/4 cups
Flour – 2 cups
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Caster sugar or fine sugar – 1/4 cup
Cinnamon powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil for frying the churros
Ingredients for chocolate sauce:
Dark chocolate – 1 cup chopped
Fresh cream – 1/4 cup
Vanilla – 1/2 tsp
1. Mix the flour and baking powder together in a mixing bowl.
2. Add butter to the boiling water and tip it into the flour mix and stir. The batter will be very thick and almost dough like.
3. Fill this mixture into a piping bag with the star nozzle on, and let it sit while you heat the oil for frying. Make sure the oil isn’t smoking hot.
4. One the oil is reasonably hot, pipe the dough out into finger sized strips into it.
5. Turn sides when it’s brown enough and take them off once done.
6. Once you take them off the oil, put them on a plate with the sugar and cinnamon powder. Toss them in the sugar mix so they get coated well.
7. To make the sauce, simply put the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat and once all combined take it off the heat.
Dip the cinnamon sugar coated churros in chocolate sauce and enjoy! You could also enjoy them without the chocolate sauce and with tea or coffee.