Not too long ago, a colleague and friend brought us a bar of Bacon Chocolate from the U.S. Don’t pull a face – it was the best thing I’ve tasted in years. It was as if chocolate met bacon, they dated in someone’s kitchen and then I got to attend the wedding. It was all kinds of awesomeness. Now, I did know about bacon brownies but had never tried them – baking or otherwise. After the successful encounter with the bacon chocolate bar, I figured I’d give the brownies a shot. They turned out good. But there’s always scope to improve – and by improve I mean, add more bacon!
The short version: Add 1/2 cup of fried bacon bits and 4 tsp bacon fat to your regular brownie batter.
1 cup chocolate
1/4 cup salted butter
3/4 cup brown or regular sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup fried bacon bits
4 tsp bacon grease/fat
1. Microwave the chocolate and butter for 30 – 40 seconds and whisk till completely melted and smooth.
2. Add eggs and vanilla, and mix well.
3. Add sugar.
4. Fold the flour into the batter.
5. Add the bacon bits and fat to the batter.
6. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 mins at 180C
Let it cool completely before demolishing it.