Anjana is my colleague who sits beside me, and it was her birthday. There was a cake overkill in the office and I made my generous contribution too. We had my cake for breakfast. In you FACE, other cakes! It was my usual chocolate cake, the recipe which came from mum, who in turn got it from Padma aunty (her friend from the 80s). Now don’t ask where Padma aunty got it from. I’ll give you the recipe for the icing here.
Mom’s Chocolate Cake
Salted Caramel Recipe
Ingredients for the icing:
1 cup dark chocolate cut into pieces
1/4 cup salted butter
3/4 cup fresh cream
1/2 pack or 75 grams of cream cheese (I used Britannia), room temp
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. Heat cream in a saucepan with butter till it bubbles on the sides.
2. Pour it over the chocolate and let it sit for 5 mins and then stir till smooth.
3. Whip the cream cheese till smooth and add the powdered sugar and mix well.
4. Add a little of the chocolate mixture into the cream cheese mixture and mix till incorporated and smooth.
5. Now add this mixture into the melted chocolate and mix well.
6. Let this sit for at least an hour so it thickens as it cools and is of thick enough consistency to spread on the cake.
7. Once this is done, spread on cake and pipe the salted caramel as you please over the chocolate icing.
I scattered a few Gems over this because it was supposed to be a birthday cake. Yes, I’m aware of the fact that it looks like a cake for a 5 year old (also that I decorated it like a 5 year old would). It was a hit at the office. So, booyah!