The temperature here in Gurgaon is low enough to make me want to crawl into my oven. That’s why soups are my favourite go-to meal in a bowl this winter. Since I make a meal of it, just broth soups don’t cut it. It has to have some body and full of flavour. So far my roasted beetroot and tomato soup and carrot and lemongrass soup have been hits. This soup though was inspired from Nigella Lawson’s after I saw a picture she posted on Instagram. I absolutely loved the bright yellow colour and wanted to cook something similar.
One pot dinners are wonderful. Especially when it’s movie night with friends. To add to it, winters. Again, perfect for a no-fuss-cooking kind of person like me (read: lazy).
Minced mutton – 1/2 kg
Onion – 3 finely chopped
Tomato – 3 finely chopped/pureed
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1 tbsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Potato – 2 cut into small cubes and cooked
Coriander to garnish
1. Saute onions in hot oil with ginger garlic paste.
2. Add garam masala and chilli powder along with the turmeric and stir well.
3. Add a splash of water to bring the masala together.
4. Add the mutton and mix it all together.
5. Add salt and let it cook for 5 mins.
6. Add potatoes and simmer for 2-3 mins or till mutton is cooked.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves.
I’m obsessed with fried onions as a garnish for mutton dishes. It’s optional but a great add on.
Serve on a bed of rice with a slice of lemon.