Marinate 1 kilo mutton pieces – leg and shoulder – overnight in:
1/2 cup curd
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder
Juice of one lemon
Salt to taste
Ingredients for curry:
1/4 cup ghee
2 medium sized onions finely sliced
1 medium sized onions finely sliced and fried till golden brown, for garnish
1 inch cinnamon piece
4 cardamom pods
200 gm set curt hung for a couple of hours and whipped till smooth
1 tsp each of – cumin powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder
1 tbsp tamarind pulp
2 tbsp tomato puree
Salt to taste
1. Heat ghee and add cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
2. Add onions and saute till light brown.
3. Add marinated mutton pieces along with marinade.
4. Add whipped curd, cumin, turmeric and chilli powder.
5. Mix well and add tamarind pulp along with tomato puree.
6. Add water till mutton is just about immersed in it.
7. Let it all come to a boil on medium heat, and then cook for around 50 mins on low flame. If it still seems a little undercooked, let it stay on the flame for another 10 mins.
8. Take off heat. Garnish with fried onions, coriander leaves and almond flakes if you have any.
Goes great with paranthas, rice, rotis, anything.
* I first hang the curd and then whip it so it’s smooth and won’t curdle in the heat. Even if it does look curdled, don’t worry, by the end it works out just fine.